This area contains policy, procedures and guidance employed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada staff. It’s published from the Department’s site as a courtesy to stakeholders.
Officers should always be pleased that the relationship that is genuine. A spousal relationship or common-law partnership that’s not genuine or which was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege is going to be refused (R4). Similarly, under R4.1, the dissolution of the relationship between two people to obtain any status or privilege beneath the Act as well as its resumption that is subsequent will when you look at the relationship being excluded. Which means that the foreign nationwide won’t be considered a partner, common-law partner or conjugal partner under the Regulations. R4.1 is applicable whether or not the one who seeks to get status or privilege through a bad faith relationship could be the sponsor, the international national being sponsored or even a third-party international nationwide.
Officers should examine the documents submitted as evidence of the partnership to ensure they’re not fraudulent.
Officers should also measure the relationship involving the applicant and any reliant kiddies to establish evidence of parentage and dependency.
On this web web page
- Proof of relationships
- Assessing for relationship of convenience
- Same-sex marriages
Proof of relationships
The program kit requires that applicants submit particular documents as evidence of the partnership. When it comes to candidates within the spouse or common-law partner in Canada course, officers must additionally be pleased that the applicant is managing the sponsor in Canada.
Style of proof this is certainly appropriate
Documentary proof ought to include:
When it comes to a common-law partner, documentary evidence ought to include:
- A finished Relationship Information and Sponsorship assessment questionnaire (IMM 5532) (contained in the application package)
- Evidence of separation from a previous partner if either the sponsor or perhaps the applicant were formerly hitched
- A finished Statutory Declaration of Severance of Common-law Union kind (IMM 5519) if either the sponsor or the applicant were formerly in a common-law relationship with someone else
- If the key applicant and sponsor have actually kids in keeping, long-form delivery certificates or use documents detailing the names of both moms and dads
- Pictures associated with the sponsor and principal applicant showing they truly are in a relationship that is conjugal
- At the very least two regarding the after sets of papers. In the event that sponsor and principal applicant aren’t able to give you papers from no less than two associated with the after sets of papers, a detailed written description must certanly be supplied:
- Essential papers for the applicant that is principal sponsor showing they’ve been named each other’s common-law partner (such as for example work or insurance coverage advantages)
- Documentary proof of economic help between your principal applicant and sponsor, and/or shared expenses
- Other evidence that the partnership is identified by buddies and/or family members ( ag e.g. Letters from friends/family, social medical information showing a general public relationship)
In the event that sponsor and principal applicant are currently cohabitating, proof from at the least two associated with after sets of papers showing that the major applicant and sponsor have now been residing together for a minumum of one 12 months ( e.g. Papers showing the exact same target for both). A detailed written explanation must be provided if they are unable to provide documents from a minimum of two of the following sets of documents
- Evidence of joint ownership of domestic property
- Leasing contract showing both the sponsor and major applicant as occupants of a leasing home
- Evidence of joint energy reports ( e.g. Electricity, gasoline, phone, online), joint charge card records, or joint bank records
- Vehicle insurance showing that both the main applicant and sponsor are announced to your insurance provider as residents of the insured’s target.
- Copies of government-issued papers for the applicant that is principal sponsor showing the exact same target ( e.g. Driver’s licenses)
- Other papers released into the major applicant and sponsor showing exactly the same target, if the records take place jointly or otherwise not ( ag e.g. Mobile phone bills, spend stubs, income tax types, bank or credit card statements, plans)
In the event that sponsor and principal applicant aren’t currently cohabitating, evidence should be provided programs the sponsor and major applicant cohabitated for no less than one year within the past, plus the after additionally needs to be supplied:
Among the eligibility criteria in R124 is cohabitation because of the sponsor in Canada. Papers offered as evidence of the partnership should establish that the also partner or common-law partner together with sponsor you live together. Should this be not yet determined through the proof available, CPC-M should request further documents or relate to a IRCC for an meeting.
Proof of cohabitation might add:
- Joint bank records or bank cards
- Joint ownership of investment property
- Joint residential leases
- Joint leasing receipts
- Joint resources accounts (electricity, fuel, phone)
- Joint handling of home expenses
- Proof of joint purchases, specifically for items for your home
- Communication addressed to either or both events in the exact same target
- Essential papers of both events showing the address that is same as an example, recognition documents, driver’s licenses, insurance plans
- Provided obligation for home administration, home chores
- Kids of 1 or both lovers are living because of the few
- Record of phone calls
Individuals who’re maybe not cohabiting along with their sponsor at that time IRCC seeks to give permanent residence (people who’ve been eliminated or who possess kept Canada voluntarily) aren’t eligible beneath the Spouse or common-law partner course. They could, but, look for to make use of within the family members course (international), which will need them to submit an application that is new.
Candidates into the partner or common-law partner in Canada course who aren’t cohabiting due to their sponsor during the time they truly are prepared to be issued permanent residence (individuals who’ve been eliminated or that have kept Canada voluntarily) aren’t entitled to permanent residence. They usually have the choice of publishing a brand new application to be prepared abroad underneath the household course, susceptible to relevant costs.